Programs for Internship
- Social Services
- Behavioral Services
- Special Communications: Speech, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy
- Coming Soon: Legal
To print off a packet for internship, please click on the following link: Volunteer Packet
For more information on internship, please contact the Sunland at Marianna HR Department at 850-482-9230.
- The intern will first report to the Human Resources Department at Sunland Marianna.
- Receives HR packet/information
- HR will then notify corresponding department of intern interest.
- The Intern will then report to Volunteer Services Department at Sunland Marianna.
- Signs up as a volunteer
- Background screening conducted by Volunteer Services
- Intern reports to Training Department (Depending upon internship site - Sunland Marianna OR DDDP)
- Intern will be fingerprinted and outfitted with a special intern badge by Security at the internship site
- Required Training
- Abuse Policy –Conducted by Training Department Personnel
- Online Training
- Security Awareness
- Intern will then be released to the mentor with whom they will be interning
As an intern for Social Services with Sunland at Marianna and Sunland DDDP, you will be provided with a solid foundation for the basic criteria to advance in Social Services. Under the guidance and leadership of trained professionals, you will be presented with daily opportunities to perform “on the job” related tasks.
The focus of this experience will include opportunities to:
- Expand your knowledge about the specifics of the Social Work field and how it relates to your clientele
- Work closely with other professionals
- Participate in interdisciplinary team meetings
- Develop/enhance Case Management skills
- Provide supportive formal/informal counseling
- Build Problem solving techniques
- Complete social histories/psychosocial assessments
At SAM and DDDP , we offer an opportunity for internships and experience that qualifies to sit for the BCBA examination. This is applied behavior analysis work dealing directly with individuals who are eligible for developmental services over the age of 18 up to their 80’s. A subset of this population includes individuals with autism. At the Sunland campus, we have three other subsets, namely males who require a secure setting as determined by a judge, a geriatric group, a general non-offender group, and a group who have moved from a secure setting to a non-secure setting. SAM is located in Mariana.
At the Developmental Disabilities Defendant Program (DDDP) you will have a unique opportunity to work with individuals who the courts have determined incompetent to proceed with trial. In this secure setting, individuals’ behavioral histories are associated with felonies. Treatment is guided by the basic tenet that the most effective way to reduce problem behavior is to strengthen desirable behavior through positive reinforcement rather than trying to weaken undesirable behavior using aversive or negative processes. Interventions include individualized behavior programs and programs that include a structured token-economy and level system while individuals attend classes to restore competency or determine incompetence. DDDP is located in Chattahoochee.
Students participating in practicum courses or interning in the Rehab Department for Sunland at Marianna are introduced to a variety of experiences in occupational, physical or speech therapy. We are able to offer contact with residents covering a wide range of ages, varying diagnoses, evaluation needs and therapy modalities. We also have multiple therapists which allows students to learn from people with differing educational backgrounds and therapy styles. In addition, because all three disciplines are housed together, students will be able to work in an interdisciplinary team setting learning from each profession. Our department will work closely with the educational facility to insure that each student receives the most appropriate involvement necessary for the continued development of future therapists.
As a nursing intern for Sunland at Marianna and Sunland DDDP, you would have a wonderful opportunity to gain extensive knowledge in working with persons with developmental disabilities. Sunland at Marianna also offers the opportunity to work with Geriatrics, and Long Term Care individuals. Upon an individual’s admission, and throughout their stay, they receive complete medical services to include admission and annual physical exams, EKG’s, lab work, eye exams, dental care, x-rays, psychiatric care, medication, 24 hour, 7 day a week nursing care, access to outside medical specialist as needed, and psychiatric evaluations and services. DDDP’s ARNP provides sick-call services 3 days a week and chronic illness clinics twice weekly. Sunland at Marianna has a fully functional clinic/doctor’s office with providers seeing patients Monday through Friday 7:30am-4:00pm. As a nursing intern, you will receive training and have the opportunity to provide hands on medical services to the individuals at the Sunland Centers. The knowledge, skills, and abilities that you take away from your experience will be irreplaceable. Working with our population of residents is very challenging and rewarding. Your nursing internship will enhance your education and skills and provide you with professional growth and development you can take with you throughout your nursing career.