What is the Agency for Persons with Disabilities (APD)?
APD works with local communities and private providers to support people who have developmental disabilities and their families in living, learning, and working in their communities. APD also provides assistance in identifying the needs of people with developmental disabilities for supports and services so they can reach their full potential.
The agency also works to educate the public on disability issues and focuses attention on employment for people with disabilities.

What disabilities does APD serve?
APD serves more than 50,000 Floridians with developmental disabilities as defined in Florida Statutes, Chapter 393. This includes individuals with:

  • Autism
  • Cerebral palsy
  • Spina bifida
  • Intellectual disabilities
  • Down syndrome
  • Prader-Willi syndrome
  • Phelan Mcdermid syndrome
  • Children age 3-5 who are at a high risk of a developmental disability

What services does APD provide?
APD provides:

  • Medicaid HCBS Waiver through iBudget Florida
  • Placement in an intermediate care facility for those with developmental disabilities
  • Supported employment services
  • Supported living services
  • Consumer Directed Care Plus (CDC+)
  • IFS (Individual and Family Supports) funding for non-waiver customer expenses

How do I become a provider or receive services from APD?
You can call the regional office in your area. You can find their contact information on our website at http://apd.myflorida.com/region/.

How do I find housing?
Call the Florida Housing Search number at 1.877.428.8844.  They link people with housing that will fit their needs.

Can APD work with Medicaid State Plan to change my services or handle my issues?
No, we cannot, but you can call Medicaid directly at 1.866.762.2237.

How can I get a job or job training?
If you are an APD client, you can contact the closest regional or field office or your waiver support coordinator.  Otherwise, contact Vocational Rehabilitation toll free at 1.800.451.4327.

What’s the difference between SSI and SSDI?
There are different eligibility criteria for the two separate programs that offer benefits to people with disabilities. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) eligibility is based on the length of time a person has worked. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is based on income level/assets and is available to people with a lower income who haven’t worked enough to qualify for SSDI. For more information, visit https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/ and https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/disability/.

How do I get on disability or find out how to appeal the decisions made about my disability?
Call the Social Security Administration at 1.800.772.1213.

Who can I contact about Americans with Disabilities Act issues or complaints?
Call the Commission on Human Relations at 1.800.342.8170. You can also call the ADA Hotline at 1.800.514.0301.

How do I report a housing or landlord issue?
If the housing is a 55+ community, contact the Commission on Human Relations at 1.800.342.8170. If this is an issue with HUD Housing and Urban Development housing, contact the fair housing line at 1.800.440.8091. If you have an issue with your landlord, contact the Legal Services office in your county for advice.

What if I don’t have one of the disabilities you cover but need Medicaid Waiver services?
Many local, state, and federal health agencies offer waiver services, such as:
Florida Department of Elder Affairs – Statewide Medicaid Managed Care Long-term Care Program and Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly.
Florida Agency for Health Care Administration – Adult Cystic Fibrosis, Statewide Medicaid Managed Care Long-term Care Program, and Traumatic Brain and Spinal Cord Injury.
Medicaid.gov – Waiver for Adults with Severe Disabling Mental Illness, Aged & Adults & Children with Disabilities, Waiver for Persons with Physical Disabilities, Frail Elderly, Acquired Brain Disorder Services.
This is just a sample of the agencies and available waivers. You can also search our Resource Directory for additional organizations and providers.

Whom do I contact about the Statewide Medicaid Managed Care Long-term Care Program?
For information about the Long-term Care program waitlist, please contact your local Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC). You can also call the Agency for Health Care Administration at 1-877-254-1055 for assistance.

Who do I contact if my child who has a disability is having trouble in school or the school isn’t meeting the needs of my disabled child?
Contact the local school, superintendent, or school board.

I receive services in another state, but I would like to move to Florida. What do I need to know before I move?

To be eligible for services from the Agency for Persons with Disabilities, you must be a Florida resident and have one of the following seven developmental disabilities: autism, cerebral palsy, intellectual disabilities, Down syndrome, Prader-Willi syndrome, Phelan Mcdermid syndrome, or spina bifida. Once you move to Florida, you can apply for services through one of the APD regional offices.  Contact information for each office can be found by clicking on the map located at  http://apdcares.org/region/.

After applying, and if you have been found eligible to receive services, you will be placed on pre-enrollment based on the date you were determined eligible as well as prioritized by category. The Waiting List Prioritization Tool is the mechanism by which the agency will determine who will receive offers for waiver enrollment when the agency has funding for enrolling individuals on pre-enrollment to the waiver. To learn more about Pre-enrollment, Click Here. You and your family may want to consider the services that are being received now, and determine if you would be able to go without those services for an extended period of time after relocating to Florida.

If you feel you are Medicaid eligible, please contact the Florida Department of Children and Families at 1-866-762-2237.

If you are under the age of 21, you may qualify for services under the Medicaid State plan. Please contact the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration at 1-888-419-3456 for more information.